Sunday 3 July 2016

Guardiola truncates Iheanacho’s Olympic Dream

Guardiola truncates Iheanacho’s Olympic Dream 

Kelechi Iheanacho wants to play for Nigeria at the Olympic Games but has accepted Pep Guardiola’s decision that Manchester City want the striker available for the start of the season.
The 19-year-old was named in Nigeria’s provisional 35-man squad on 24 June. The Olympics in Rio start on 5 August and end on 21 August so if Iheanacho was to play he would miss the final weeks of preparations and the beginning of the Premier League season.
According to Jamie Jackson for The Guardian Sport He said: “If your
country wants to play for them you surely have to go, but it’s not up for me to decide. It’s not left for me to decide if I am going to the Olympics or not. My team and my country, I don’t know if they have concluded or not.”
It is understood Iheanacho is now aware Guardiola does not want him to represent Nigeria and has accepted this.
The forward enjoyed a breakthrough last season, in which he scored 14 times in 35 appearances. He is looking forward to the challenge of competing with Sergio Agüero and the Spain forward Nolito, who was signed last week from Celta Vigo.
“We have great players and we have made some great new signings so I just need to work hard and I will get my chance to play,” Iheanacho said.
“It was a great season last season. I worked hard and did very well, but last season is the past and in the next season I need to work hard and I will get my chance. I can play No 9, 10, 7 and 11 – I can play different positions. Anywhere I can fit in, I will play. I am happy with what I did last season and now I have to work really hard this season to get something for the team and work for the team as well.”
Iheanacho has yet to speak with Guardiola. “I haven’t met him and haven’t spoken to him. I think we will meet him in training,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment